Monday 28 June 2010

More About Me




I feel that the time has come to let you all know more about me.


Before you ask, no, I'm not going to reveal my social security number to the world, or post any humiliating pictures, or tell you my true identity for that matter!


Instead I'm going to let you into a secret, one about the love of my life – Billie Joe Armstrong. (Of course I love my boyfriend very much too!) For those of you not familiar with the name, he's Green Day's supremely talented and oh so gorgeous front man, guitarist and singer. I used to be head over achy heels for Blink 182's Mr Tom DeLonge, only frankly, where BJ (yes, I am aware of the pun) has improved over time, DeLonge's beginning to look...well...a bit ratty.


When Billie declared on stage "SOMEBODY FUCK ME!!" I guess I was one in a very long queue of fans who would be happy to oblige. Even my extremely hetro boyfriend would have had to remind himself of his sexuality!


I'm not however one of these 'some-time-fan-girls', I've loved Green Day for nearly 10 years and Dookie goes down as one of my all time favourite albums. And they, like their music just get better with age.


For me, standing alongside 36000 other fans at LCCC earlier this month allowed me momentarily to forget Arthur. I thought-cheated on him with the sublime Mr Armstrong! Music can do that. If you love something so much, it can overcome you to such a degree that the point where you end and the music begins becomes intrinsically blurred.


My fetish for punk rock has presented itself in several ways over the years. From my love of big sturdy boots (as I've mentioned before, these have a practicality to them too), to having my ear (just the one) pierced more times than I can remember (the other has one modest single piecing), to my recent "quarter life crisis" of dying bits of my hair pink again – something which I did on a regular basis as a teen. I love anything which can make me feel different for the RIGHT reasons. I'm quite a girly girl, so I love nothing more than vamping up my DM's with a tiny little mini skirt.


Hell, I know I'm 23; I SHOULD begin to grow up and make myself sophisticated. But I don't want to. So much of me feels old that I want to look and behave as young as possible. And as for uni, I STILL don't know what I want to do when I grow up!!!


So roll on Leeds festival for more puck rock mayhem and madness!!!

3 comments:

  1. Music is really fantastic therapy. I couldn't move some days without it. Rock on too, for we share the same taste in music!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RA girls are the epitome of punk, no matter how old :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a 46 yr old who just loves Greenday, punk rock and has some really weird musical tastes... OK From classical right through to Linkin Park and back to Big Band music through to Gregorian Chants and back to Frankie goes to Hollywood via Duran Duran stopping off for a bit of Joseph and his dreamcoat along the way, music is good for the soul, it can make you laugh... Just listen to Monster Mash.... and Ernie the fastest milkman in the west... and it can be a force that can drive the blues away.
    If I can't have my MP3 next to my bed just shoot me now! Those long nights with Arthur would be so horrid, but the music lets you forget about all that nonsense!
    Thanks for the blog, it really does rock!

    ReplyDelete